Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 1995 23:17:59 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: clock running faster?

As Garrett A. Wollman wrote:

> >> The changes have the effect of making the Pentium clock the reference.
>
> > I don't think this has been a good idea.
>
> Please explain your reason for believing this, keeping in mind that a
> similar technique was used on MicroVAXen in 4.3 (except using
> microtime() rather than a purpose-built function).

I simply don't trust the PeeCee industry to even bother making the CPU
clock an exact frequency.  OTOH, they seem to be somewhat eager to
keep in spec with the 14.318... MHz clock bas where the timer input is
derived from (since otherwise the MSDOG clock would also be wrong).

Remember that not all people around do live in NTPland.

--
cheers, J"org