Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 95 20:30:49 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, paul@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netware gateway.

> > > Um. What address restrictions?  If the IP all happens on a private network
> > > and everything is proxied, what assignment restrictions are there?
> >
> > Well, I think running the extra stack will take more memory.
>
> Yeees... a few hundred K at most.  It's a VxD, so despite all it's other
> faults, when you're not using it it will be swapped out.

Huh?  Maybe I'm corrupted by Win95, but...

Most VxDs like to be pinned if they are going to be taking interrupts:

#pragma code_seg("_LTEXT", "LCODE")
#pragma data_seg("_LDATA", "LCODE")

I think you are thinking the default:

#pragma code_seg("_PTEXT", "PCODE")
#pragma data_seg("_PDATA", "PDATA")

Which is usually overruled in the linker .DEF file anyway, and is forced
to be locked.  You might use something like this for a split queue in/out
serail driver, if you wanted to take the speed hit.

The only other option is really:

#pragma code_seg("_ITEXT", "ICODE")
#pragma data_seg("_IDATA", "ICODE")

Which is used for the real mode init system message and is unloaded
immediately by the default loader (or by the VPE loader VXDLDR.VXD),

#pragma code_seg("_STEXT", "SCODE")
#pragma data_seg("_SDATA", "SCODE")

Which are static segments used for things like the callback tables
registered with IFSMgr_RegisterMount(), which is too stupid to be
able to deregister code, so you have to leave it there in case it
gets called back into, and

#pragma code_seg("_DBOCODE", "DBOCODE")
#pragma data_seg("_DBODATA", "DBOCODE")

Which are only there for debug versions of the VxDs (and are locked
too).

The main advantage of a VxD is that it can live in high memory, not
that it's typically pageable (especially a VxD for a network driver
that gets called as a result of IFSMgr requests to a registered
interface by way of IFSMgr_RegisterNet()).

Net and file system VxD's are very, very different.

Anyway, it's been pointed out that you aren't using a multihop
Novell NetWork from the clients to the gateway, so it's really
a moot point at best.

					Happy sailing,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu