Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:46:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        "Carroll, D. (Danny)" <Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Silly crackers... NT is for kids...

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Wes Peters wrote:

> You're not ghosting your systems, or something like that?  You're certainly
> making things much harder on yourself.  Install the OS, your basic apps,
> and putty, and bingo! everyone has a reasonably good ssh client.

While in theory good, the way this place works, it won't happen.  The
group I work in was created specifically because the overall Site IT dept
couldn't give us the level of service the users needed.  "Oh, your name is
wrong in the Email database?  Here's a work ticket and get that taken care
of in the next 5-10 business days."  They create the PC images, and they
wouldn't be terribly receptive to us asking for more software.  Once more,
they're leary of all free software.  I've heard that we had to go through
a minefield of politics and paperwork to get emacs installed on our
machines.  They're a little better now, but but not much.  That's what I
get for working in a DoD/Old school IT shop.

> On a generic-user Windows box?  I'd rather have a life.  If your employer
> is doing stupid crap like this, you need to vote with your feet.

No No, on the realtime machine controllers (QNX), or OCR nodes that need
all the cpu cycles they can get.  I'm talking about the [de|en]crypt on
the remote side, not the PC side.  Every bit or performance matters, and
could be the difference between us and someone else getting a contract.

> They aren't all that compelling, either.

Fairs fair.  I wish I didn't have the restrictions I have, but I need to
live with them for the time being.

--
Matt Piechota
Finger piechota@emailempire.com for PGP key