Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2011 22:53:32 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dropping maintainership of my ports

sorry for the top post, but shouolder is killing me.

idea 1: can the 'summer of code' guys help us out with this.

idea 2.  why oh why can we not live with the fbsd and debian
paradigm?

the reason i've kept my domain here at home is because i like the
flexibility i see.  but keeping ports current is getting to be
impossible.  there are too many distros of every open src os and
maybe if net and free [RE]-hjoined arms that 3rd idea would work.

i'm sure that many of you guys kno w that aristotle was a polymath;
he was as sharp as anybody i have ever studied.  his highest
'virtue' was pragmatism.    given the headaches with maintaining
ports, and much more, isn' t it time to look in new directions?

idea 4.  axe the number of ports.  if person x or y want to maintain
a port of his ow n , outstanding.  he can post a note to the lists.

idea 5.  beging a completely separate, independent group for
orphaned ports [ for free, net, debian, ubuntu, redhat, foobar
opsys.

a last note: i started out as a porter.  loved i t and excelled at
it.  but it never was easy.  it's still 3/2 * bear|bitch|swine.
ergo, i know why many of this list and org are slowing or dropping
out.

Enuf,

-g
.