Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2001 16:10:19 +0100
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ICQ and NAT again.. :(

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 04:36:34PM +1100, Kal Torak wrote:
> Thats right, you cant get files or chats without a range of listining
> ports open OR you can use a socks 5 proxy and that will solve those
> problems as well...

My word.. I believe I should really look into a socks 5 proxy..

> So long as you set to keep the connection alive I belive this works...
> Otherwise the rule will time out and you will appear to go offline then
> online to everyone on your list all the time...

A solution for this was mentioned in the previous "ICQ with NAT problems"
thread, passing in everything from 205.188.153.[97,102] on port 4000.

This has stopped ICQ from disconnecting regularily. Although I can't make
much sense of it, the newer versions of ICQ shouldn't be using UDP or
port 4000 anymore..

> I have had terrible trouble with icq... Especialy with other people behind
> nat or firewalls... It seems the best solution is to install socks 5 proxy
> and set icq to use that...

I believe I should set up a socks 5 proxy.

> I might try with the latest version of icq and see if I can get it working
> through nat, but doesnt it have ads on it or something? I really hate ads...

Yes it has ads on every message window you open. Really sucks. But I am sure
the crack for 2001b isn't far away..that's at least a way to get rid of them.

thanks and regards
--
	Andreas "ant" Ntaflos
	ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net