Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:25:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmstat's entries type

Robert Watson wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 >
 > > > and easily triples the amount of storage for each of them...
 > >
 > > True, storage is tripled.  But how many counters are we talking about here?
 > > I guess rather a few, not thousands of them, right?
 > >
 > > > It is ugly :-(
 > >
 > > Yes, I certainly agree, it's ugly.  But having wrong output from "vmstat -s"
 > > and other tools is ugly, too -- and it is noticed by a lot more people.
 >
 > This problem is not limited to vmstat -- the network stack uses 32-bit
 > counters in a lot of places where 32-bits has become very small.

I see.  That's unfortunate.  :-(

However, byte counters and packet counters in IPFW and IPF
(and probably PF, but I haven't verified) are already 64bit.
So there _are_ at least a few places where the problem does
not exist.

# ipfw show
65535 26326861627 25395554002225 allow ip from any to any
# uname -m
i386

Best regards
   Oliver

"[...]  one observation we can make here is that Python makes
an excellent pseudocoding language, with the wonderful attribute
that it can actually be executed."  --  Bruce Eckel