Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 13:27:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   profiling a daemon process

I am trying to profile a daemon process, but no gmon.out
file is ever created on FreeBSD. When I brought my code
to Linux, I managed to get the graph profile file.

First, I compiled everything with the -pg flag, as I would
any other program. Then, I run the program which is forked
to background and send a few queries to the daemon. Finally,
I kill the process using the TERM signal, which is caught
and closes everything nicely before exiting (main returns
0). Yet, no profile seems to be created.

I then proceeded to make a few changes to help the profiler.
First, I commented out the forking of the server process so
that the process could be kept in the foreground. Still no
profile. I then changed my program so that it doesn't exit
on a signal. Still no profile.

So what could be the potential reasons for this problem
knowing the program doesn't fork and exits on '0'?