Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 05:11:35 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Denny White <dennyboy@cableone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hp 722c deskjet problems

Thus spake Denny White <dennyboy@cableone.net>:
> have tried all day & all night to get my hp 722c deskjet printer to
> work. it used
> to be picked up on during boot at least, before i started fooling around
> with it.

You can't print because the 722C uses HP's aweful proprietary PPA
protocol.  To fix the problem, install /usr/ports/print/pnm2ppa and
GhostScript.  The directions to set it up in /etc/printcap should be
included with pnm2ppa.  If not, try http://sourceforge.net/projects/pnm2ppa

Alternatively, apsfilter may take care of all that stuff for you, as I
recall.  (It's 5 AM here, so I don't recall much right now.)

As for why your printer is no longer being detected by FreeBSD, I have
no idea.  Perhaps you should undo what you tried.  ;-)