Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 1999 00:28:19 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Strange SCSI QIC tape behaviour

I've discovered a little more about the behaviour of the TDC4200 as it
relates to the current driver and fixed vs variable blocking.  My earlier
message described some of my difficulty reusing variable blocked
tapes, even after 'mt erase'.  I have just found that 'mt density 0' is
required or you get nowhere.  Strangely, it seems to have no effect as
far as 'mt status' is concerned, though it certainly changed the behaviour
of the drive.  I think the SCSI tape driver maintains some sort of
state that is out of date, and maintains it even over reinsertions of
the tape media.  So 'mt density 0' just gets it to resync with what
the drive thinks is going on.

I got as far as sasetparams() in scsi_sa.c, but now I know I need to
read a lot more of the SCSI spec, and that could take quite some time.

Stephen.