Date:      Fri, 03 Mar 2000 18:27:51 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>, Wes Peters <wes@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Great American Gas Out

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Saturday,  4 March 2000 at 10:12:13 +1030, Mark Newton wrote:

> >> First, this off-topic for -hackers, so I've directed replies to -chat
> >> if you want to continue.
> >
> > Sage advice :-)
> >
> >> Second, I know people that commute distances that would cross your
> >> country.  I suspect the average American uses a lot more gas than the
> >> average Nederlander.
> >
> > Bah.  In Western Australia there's a sheep station called "Little Texas"
> > which just happens to have a land area larger than the state of Texas;
> > I live in Adelaide, so I have to go 600 km East or 3000 km West or 3000 km
> > North to find another population centre with more than 50,000 people;
> > the nearest interstate Capital city is 980 km away.
>
> Melbourne's 750 km.
>
> > Our cities are also a hell of a lot more widely laid-out than yours:
> > Adelaide, with a pop.  of 1.1 million, has the same surface area as
> > New York City.
>
> I think you should take a look at Salt Lake City (where Wes lives)
> before making that sort of claim.  SLC is a lot wider than Adelaide.

And that's the POPULATED part of Utah.  The Great Basin desert which
covers half of Utah and most of Nevada, is nearly Australian in it's
lack of people, and for the same reason: no water.

> > So let's accept that distances in the US are pissant little commuter
> > hops, shall we? :-)
>
> Depends on the part of the USA.

"I'm from Texas, I'd drive a hundred miles to eat a BAD hamburger."

"Hell, I'm from Nevada, I drive a hundred miles to pick my mail."

Circumnavigate Area 51-ing you what,