Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:59:01 +0000
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
Cc:        "-chat@FreeBSD" <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: China loves Linux?

"Igor B. Bykhalo" wrote:

> http://uk.news.yahoo.com/991110/22/ax8w.html
>
> http://www.graphon.com/News/pr-china991102.html
>
> China is really going to fall in love with Linux?
> This can be a sad news for us FreeBSD lovers...

	Even if it is true ( and I haven't done enough looking to say if it is
or isn't ) I think this should be looked at a little bit wider
perspective.  Think of it as someone announcing that they are going to
embrace unix flavor X.  Flavor X can be pretty much any kind of unix, be
it Linux, Solaris, etc.  I think it's much easier for FreeBSD to show
what a makes it a neat OS when you are talking to people who are already
familiar with unix in general.  There's ( hopefully ) a lot less
education needed before you can start explaining what makes FreeBSD
great.  Telling someone about what makes FreeBSD great who is only
familiar with Windows NT requires lots of education before you can get
to the good stuff :-)

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu