Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 10:53:45 -0400
From:      Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Fernan Aguero <pichita3@netscape.net>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: some weird stuff found

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 10:34:12AM -0400, Fernan Aguero wrote:
> In the last few days I started noticing strange things. Some of them
> I do not understand and perhaps are normal things (such as being scanned)
> and others may be more critical.
> I appreciate any help and insight you can give me.
>=20
> I am running FreeBSD-4.3.0p15 (RELENG_4_3).
>=20
> 1 - I have been receiving some messages at the console that I would like
>     to understand better:
>     arp: unknown hardware address format (0x0800)
>=20
>     Lately I have many of these messages per day. What could be
>     causing this?
>=20

This is a FAQ.  Basically a machine on your network is sending out
invalid arps.  Search the mailing list archives for details.

> 2 - I also notice this in /var/log/messages =20
>     Sep  6 06:00:34 iib005 rpc.statd: invalid hostname to sm_stat:
>     ^X=F7=FF=BF^X=F7=FF=BF^Y=F7=FF=BF^Y
>     Sep  6 06:00:35 iib005 /kernel: -^PM-^PM-^P
>=20
>     The messages in the console appear a little different, with a lot
>     of gibberish after sm_stat: and /kernel:
>=20

Probably a Linux or Solaris rpc attack/exploit.  Doesn't affect
FreeBSD machines (except for annoying log entries).

> 3 - If I run 'nmap -v localhost' I can see a few ports open
*snip*
>     What services run on 1020 and 1021? I am not aware of having enabled
>     those, and they do not appear in /etc/services.
>    =20

Run sockstat (or lsof, etc) to see what is bound to those ports.

>     And relating to this, do i need sendmail listening on 25 and 587 if
>     I only need to send mail to a smart host?

You can probably just use -q30m for sendmail flags if you are not
accepting email which will not opening listening sockets.

>     Also: I need to print to a network printer but I'm not a print server.
>     Do I need 515 open?

Nope.  See the lpd(8) man page (-p option).

>     How do I close those ports (25,587,515)?

First see what programs are bound to those ports (see above).
25 =3D=3D telnetd (run from inetd)
515 =3D=3D lpd (see above)

>     And last, I am running xdm but I only allowed connections from
>     localhost. Is this in any way related to X11 being on port 6000?
>     (/etc/services shows xdm on port 177)
>=20

Probably.  6000 range of ports are usually X listening.

> 4 - I normally run tripwire each night on the system and I never noticed
>     anything strange. But every time I update my system (cvsup, make worl=
d)
>     I have to go over lots of new files that I need to tell tripwire to
>     update.
>     The last time I did this I noticed a strange thing under /bin:
>     -r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  50868 Sep  3 13:27 /bin/[

/bin/[ is a hard link to /bin/test (normal); 'man [' for details.

--=20
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power To Serve   -   http://www.FreeBSD.org

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd