Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 13:04:48 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, bwithrow@BayNetworks.COM
Subject:   Re: AMD: local overrides on NIS maps?

Thanks for the reply.

dhw@whistle.com said:
:- So I implemented a set of NIS maps, along with an "amd.master" map.

Yes, I do that.  This is a big sun site, so I have a perl script that
takes the existing NIS automounter maps and converts them to AMD maps
which also get stuck into NIS.

To give you and idea:

  bash-2.01$ ypcat amd.master | wc
       175     322    4627
  bash-2.01$ ypcat amd_bne_home | wc
      1350    2868   67877

And that is just the beginning.  Because of this I can't use things like
your amd.n because I would have to have these selectors on each mountpoint,
of which there are thousands.

I could, I suppose, have the /defaults have the selectors and enable the
appropriate switch in AMD, but that doesn't feel right.  It seems like one
should be able to override mount options locally...

:- One of the things that's on my plate is to have a net-visible place
:- for things that resemble /usr/local things (and that really should be
:- kept in one place), while having /usr/local reside on each local
:- machine (so that folks installing ports don't stomp all over each
:- other).

We call that /usr/global.

--
Robert Withrow -- (+1 978 916 8256)