Date:      Thu, 04 Jul 2002 13:06:35 -0600
From:      Andy <seahorse51@attbi.com>
To:        "jogegabsd" <jogegabsd@myrealbox.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: limit mailbox size sendmail

Use quotas on the slice that /var/mail is located, based of the group id of
each user.

This assumes that each user on your box has their own separate group, using
a standard sendmail install and /var is its own slice.

Some of the pop servers (qpopper 4.x I know for sure), when re-writing the
pop box file, writes the temp file with the same owner of the file, and
will cause quotas to have a problem, when the combined file size exceeds
your limit.  By using groupquota instead of userquota, this issue can be
avoided.  Please note that it is also best to have /var its own slice in
this case.  Otherwise, you can run into issues with user home storage
limitations as well.