Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:21:49 +0900
From:      Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS - Summary?

At Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:27:36 -0400,
Ken Smith wrote:
> 	1)The current country-code based delegation for all zones will
> 	  stay in place, being able to handle DNS locally is required
> 	  for any region's country code to exist in the FreeBSD namespace.

> 	2)It will be the responsibility of that country code's DNS admins
> 	  (or local people they decide on) to handle all DNS requests
> 	  for that region on their own.

Agreed.  I'll request dnsadm@ to give us current CC zone (and its
administrator contact) list to clarify current status.

> 	3)The US sites will be moved to us.freebsd.org and someone will
> 	  be set up in a role to handle (2) for that zone.
>
> 	4)The TLD sites "www.freebsd.org", "ftp*.freebsd.org", etc. will,
> 	  as someone else suggested, become the best of the currently
> 	  available mirror sites regardless of country they're in.
>
> If you can either say that's correct or let us know what needs to be
> researched/discussed more I think that would help.  If the above is
> correct I could take this and work out the next step towards what you
> asked for.  I think you are the only one at this point who could say
> one way or another whether (2) is correct or if the people who make
> up dnsadm@ would be willing to take on administering a country code's
> zone if the people in that country code could not for some reason.

As one of hostmaster@jp.FreeBSD.org, I'd say (2) is correct.  We are
responsible to maintain jp.FreeBSD.org domain for years and
(hopefully) administered as quickly as we can.

The direction of (3) and (4) seems good.  I think we should "add"
ftp*.us.FreeBSD.org from ftp*.FreeBSD.org (not "move") to keep
currently available famous mirrors.

--
Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp> // IMG SRC, Inc.
             <kuriyama@FreeBSD.org> // FreeBSD Project