Date:      Sat, 22 Nov 1997 17:26:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Book Club

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Charles Mott wrote:

> I was intrigued by a recent Godzilla vs. Megara battle
> (well, actually it was a three-way battle in which Mothra
> also showed up) about boot code strategies. I could barely
> understand what was being said, but Terry Lambert did make
> some interesting book recommendations: (1) The Undocumented
> PC by Frank van Gilluwe, and (2) Protected Mode Software
> Architecture by Tom Shanley.
>
> Well, I went out and bought these books.  My opinion is
> that Gilluwe's book is solid but Shanley's is a little low
> denisity (I might return it).  Any other recommendations?

I haven't found one _better_ than the Shanley book, have you?
On top of that, there's many areas that the van Gilluwe book skips
completely, saying it's covered so well elsewhere, why bother (video
specifically comes to mind, which is really skimped on).

If you know of any better book than the Shanley book, I'd be really
interested.  Until you do find better, you might want to reconsider.  The
protected areas just aren't discussed, at least not from a non-Windows
viewpoint.

> Charles Mott

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |