Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 20:10:37 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <yoshi@parodius.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tty access/modification times not being updated?

	Greetings. I've recently come across what looks to be an
	annoying problem regarding when the modification (possibly
	access?) times on ttys are updated upon login.

	This could be entirely related to the service which is
	allocating the tty for use (telnet, ssh, etc.), but I happen
	to think it goes much deeper than that (login_tty(3), ttyname(3),
	isatty(3), ttyslot(3), etc.).

	ls shows the following timestamps (modification time) for
	each of the above ttys, PRIOR to the login period.

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     wheel      5,   3 Dec 12 01:11 /dev/ttyp3
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     wheel      5,   4 Dec 11 22:52 /dev/ttyp4
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     wheel      5,   5 Dec 10 14:12 /dev/ttyp5

	In the below example, ttyp3/4/5 all have been logged in via
	sshd (ports; 1.2.27), and no commands have been typed to the
	shells in question:

 7:58PM  up 18:45, 6 users, load averages: 0.11, 0.10, 0.04
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
yoshi            p0       koitsu            5:24PM     3 -tcsh (tcsh)
yoshi            p1       koitsu            7:58PM     1 -tcsh (tcsh)
yoshi            p2       koitsu            7:57PM     - w
yoshi            p3       koitsu            7:58PM 2days -tcsh (tcsh)
yoshi            p4       koitsu            7:58PM 21:05 -tcsh (tcsh)
yoshi            p5       koitsu            7:58PM 2days -tcsh (tcsh)

	The instant a command is typed/etc., the timestamps change
	appropriately. The above applies to all ttys, not just ttyp3/4/5.
	What confuses me even more is the fact that ttyp3 is labelled
	idle for 2 days when it should be stating something like 19
	hours.

	Using FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE (with daily cvsup updates; kernel is
	labelled 3.4-RC).

	Any comments?

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   yoshi@parodius.com |