Date:      Fri, 03 Oct 1997 12:19:45 +0100
From:      Gareth McCaughan <gjm11@dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automating use of FTP mirror sites

Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> I was discussing this just 4 or 5 months ago with someone else, during
> our last big debate about whether or not ftp.freebsd.org should
> automatically go first in the order based on the law of averages
> (which says that you'll typically get it there first a lot faster than
> you'll find it on some Timbuktoo master site, as is generally the
> case).  I definitely agree that, at the least, there should be some
> sort of "hook" for doing on-the-fly transformation of FTP URLs.

I think it's important to translate *sets* of URLs, not just
individual ones. Otherwise you need another hook to eliminate
duplicates...

And Satoshi Asami wrote:

> That is very interesting.  The FreeBSD Project is very interested in
> your script. :)

OK. When I've cleaned it up enough that I'm happy for other people
to read it, what should I do with it? Send it to -ports? (At present
it's 157 lines long, about 1/3 of which is comments.)

--
Gareth McCaughan