Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 11:08:35 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Matthias Buelow <token@wicx50.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
Cc:        ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu (Guy Helmer), freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security problem with FreeBSD 2.2.1 default installation

In message <199706031651.SAA24768@wicx20.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de> Matthias Buelow writes:
: I was already wondering when I freshly installed 2.1.5 half a year ago that
: sperl 4.x was still setuid (I remember that Perl's unsafety was already
: known at least when I was still running 2.1.0 and I also remember some old
: CERT advisories mentioning freebsd ages ago).  Since then it has become
: routine for me to chmod 0 sperl/setuidperl etc. and I'm really wondering
: how there could be people left who don't know of that ancient hole?  I mean,
: even some of my clueless Linux friends know about the sperl vulnerability. ;)

I'm pretty sure it wasn't that ancient hole, but rather a newer one
that was a buffer overflow.  The ancient hole was different and fixed,
if memory serves correctly.

Warner