Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:27:33 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: rc.d and rc.local

--7kW37LRKoI6fR2de

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

>> +.Pq either boot time or shutdown time
>=20
> This is one of the situations that Garrett was talking about.  Just use
> normal parens:
>=20
> (either boot time or shutdown time)

yep, I've since fixed that in my local copy.  I think I'll try to come
up with a patch for mdoc.samples(7) to explain this too.

>> +but the administrator may specify different directories by setting the
>> +.Dq local_startup
>> +option of
>> +.Xr rc.conf 5 .
>=20
> I'd prefer this
>=20
> but these may be overridden with the
> .Va local_startup
> .Xr rc.conf 5
> variable.
>=20
> I prefer to mark up local_startup as a variable, since it _is_ a shell
> variable.

Yes, I was going to do that myself, but couldn't remember the right
macro so I just used .Dq as a fallback. :-)

>> +This option's value should be a list of directories to check for
>> +.Nm rc.d
>> +scripts.
>=20
> My preference would be to leave this out, but there's no solid argument
> for that.

ok, I guess it's fairly obvious.

> You might want to consider the word "hypothetical" instead of
> "fictitious" here.

Sounds good.

--=20
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D