Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 21:38:57 -0500
From:      rob spellberg <emailrob@emailrob.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

gentlemen ---

this has actually been rather interesting.

however -

> >> This is because it's terribly frightening to most humans to a)
> >> be personally responsible for their own actions, b) honor others
> >> regardless of what they choose to do, c) maintain a state of constant
> >> present-time awareness, d) follow their own internal codes of conduct,
> >> e) find their passion, and f) dance their passion into existance.
> > (d) is problematic.
>
> For you, maybe. I find, once I remove the consensual pressure to
> conform, that it's rather impossible to violate your own internal
> codes. Remember that you can't say anything about another's
> violations, just your own.

actually, [d] --is-- problematic.

if one person's ICOC includes killing others and
  others ICOC's insist that they not be killed by others, then
  houston, we have a problem.

the immovable object and the irresistable force
  can not mutually co_exist.

> > If it's "to each. according to his need", well, then, all that's
> > really necessary is to manufacture "need".
>
> "Need" has to be moved to "want" or even "desire" before what I was
> talking about can unfold. Put another way, no one will need or want to
> abuse the system, because it won't occur to them and because there
> really will be no system to abuse. You dont need a system if everyone
> is enlightened and aware.

in my experience [ i'm 47 ],
  most people are neither enlightened nor aware.

consider that there exists a large group of people
  who put forth great effort, just to avoid having "a job".

all utopias fail because, sooner or later,
  somebody learns how to game the system.
then someone else discovers that they must behave likewise
  just to stay even.
induction on a finite population size requires that,
  eventually, everyone does it.

> Well. Let's see just how much your averagea 4K message will cost you
> to store.

the last post was 28k.

>                                      A 4K message works out
> to costing you .00267 of a cent. Even if this person sent out 100
> messages, that's .267 of a cent.
>
> I recognize some people are penny pinchers but...come on! ;)

as soon as costs are allowed, costs grow rapidly.

this is the first_rule_of_spending_other_people's_money.

> >> You are an interesting person, I must say. Your examples are only
> >> weakly parallel to the actual issues, yet you are convinced of them
> >> with the force of a thousand zealots. I see my mirror in you, sir,
> >> and I am grateful for the chance to observe this. =)
> >
> > It's an intentional tit-for-tat.
>
> Of course, oh superior one. Tell me what else I should know? =)

uh_oh; bad move, dave.

> > My failure to agree with you is not a failure of you to properly
> > communicate what you feel is the worth of your thesis, it's a
> > result of my disagreement with that thesis.
>
> I don't think we've reached a point where you -can- agree or disagree.
> I think you are still not understanding the thesis, and being a
> subjugate to Occam, you take the simplest road which is to disagree.
>
> I also think it will take more than email to communicate the principia
> of that thesis. I might have to try back in 20 years.

oh, dave.

the ad_hominem attack;
  questioning your debating opponent's intelligence.

you have just declared that, in your own mind,
  you have already lost the argument.

> > One of these is that "all trolls are only minor misfits", and
> > another is that "minor misfits should be tolerated in the utopian
> > anarchy".
>
> There are no misfits in a utpoian anarchy, by definition.

this isn't a utopia [ of any kind ].

> Criminal activity can be art. Ever see some of the graffiti artists
> in central LA? My god these people are talented with a spray paint
> can. Some of the stuff is so eye catching, it's hard to drive through
> the area without risking an accident. I can send you some photos if
> you don't frequent these kinds of areas.
>
> Just because the results and/or actions are illegal doesn't mean they
> aren't artistic.

thank you for serving up a fat one,
  right down the middle and just in time for the strike.

graffiti [ except in designated places ] --is-- vandalism.

in addition, by your own admission,
  it is sometimes a clear and present danger to public safety.

dave, you strike me as a physically_nonviolent person
  who means well and wants the best for everyone.
your good intentions are admirable.

however, while good intentions are an almost necessary condition,
  they are not a sufficient condition.

it is necessary to have good results.

without good results, the intentions don't mean diddly_squat.

rob spellberg
harvard, illinois