Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:04:21 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>, <portmgr@FreeBSD.org>, <cvs@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <java@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Repocopy request: www/jakarta-tomcat4 -> www/jakarta-tomcat4-devel

> I'm really not keen on mixing version numbers and suffixes (like
> '-devel', '-old') etc.. etc..
>
> Assuming I'm reading the site right, there are 3 things on the go right
> now:
>
>     4.x     currently jakarta-tomcat4 (will stall out at 4.x.* x<1)
>     4.1.x   the refactoring project, what you're looking for here
>     5.x     highly developmental.

Correct.

> Seems to me that jakarta-tomcat41 might be more appropriate (especially
> given the existence of jakarta-tomcat3), and that -devel be reserved for
> tracking snaps (or whatever) of currently-what-will-be-5.x, if such a
> port were to exist.

Okay, that sounds a lot better. Only small concern I have with that is that
'41' is fouty-one, not 4-dot-1. We might get a Jakarta Tomcat release 41.0
some day :)

Anyway, I agree that 'jakarta-tomcat-41' is probably the best right now,
considering the constraints. Could such a repocopy be performed?

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
EuroNet Internet B.V.

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ