Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:38:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        jayobrien@att.net (Jay O'Brien)
Cc:        FreeBSD - questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mount point problem

> Nathan Kinkade wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 12:39:24AM -0700, Jay O'Brien wrote:
> >
> >>I've changed the mount point for devices; i.e., ad0s1g
> >>was /usr and now I want ad0s1f to mount on boot as /usr.
> >>
> >>I can't seem to get anywhere with disklabel editor in
> >>single-user mode. It errors out; device busy. When I
> >>start diskeditor again, mount points are shown as <none>.
> >>
> >>I'm sure I'm overlooking a very basic issue, and I could
> >>sure use some guidance.
> >>
> >>Jay O'Brien
> >>Rio Linda, CA USA
> >

> > The disklabel doesnt' specify the mount point for partitions, it simply
> > describes the size and number of partitions.  Edit the file /etc/fstab
> > to direct init how/where to mount your various partitions that the
> > disklabel describes.  The disklabel editor that is part of sysinstall
> > asks about a mount point because it will usually need to automatically
> > mount your partitions during a new install.
> >
> > Nathan
>

> Thank you. I hadn't grasped the concept that disklabel's purpose
> is on initial boot of a new system. I edited /etc/fstab as you
> suggested and that fixed my problem.
>
> There's lots more to learn!

This one can be a little confusing because in /stand/sysinstall, when
it collects information to build a disk, it asks for the mount point
and it sort of looks like disklabel did it.   But, really, sysinstall
collects that information and then runs fstab, runs disklabel, runs
newfs and edits /etc/fstab all under the covers.   So, when you do it
yourself, then you notice the several steps that look like just one
in the installer.   Sort of like making it too easy for the user shorts
out some learning.   But, it is nice to have it on initial installs.

////jerry