Date:      Thu, 01 Mar 2007 13:37:16 +0000
From:      "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Inconsistencies with IP_ONESBCAST and/or IP_SENDSRCADDR

Andre Oppermann wrote:

> I have some WIP here too.  I'll send it to you later this afternoon.

Thanks, I look forward to seeing it, re Issue #2 IP_SENDSRCADDR.

Dealing with dhclient is a separate issue -- here, something like
IP_SENDIF needs to be introduced, as we are truly in an 'ip unnumbered'
situation -- ie the ifnet MAY not yet have been assigned an IPv4 address
at all, and IP_SENDSRCADDR implies that you are source routing in the
local stack by passing the address of a numbered interface

I have however dealt with Issue #1 by committing a fix to ip_output()
for the IP_ONESBCAST && SO_DONTROUTE case.

This together with the fix you committed for ethernet next-hop
resolution (thanks!) should mean that projects like OLSRD can stop using
libnet and other hacks for sending 255.255.255.255 on FreeBSD.

The original broadtest tool has now been cleaned up and put into the
tree under src/tools/regression/netinet/ipbroadcast.

Regards,
BMS