Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 19:44:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        FREEBSD-SECURITY-L <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Effects of kern.securelevel >= 0

On Sun, 9 Jun 1996, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> No.  It is automatically increased by init if it starts out as >=0.

    You mean "<= 0"?  I haven't fiddled with the default startup value
here, and a 'sysctl kern.securelevel' in multiuser mode shows it is
still at level -1.

> That's why, when setting up a secure system, you have to make /etc/rc,
> and all the files it depends on, immutable, and all the important
> system directories append-only.

    This is at kern.securelevel = 1:

# ls -ld /dev
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  - 15360 Jun  9 17:19 /dev
# chflags sappnd /dev
chflags: /dev: Operation not permitted
# ls -ldo /dev
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  sappnd 15360 Jun  9 17:19 /dev

    A bogus ENOPERM somewhere?
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.