Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 20:42:09 -0600 (EST)
From:      Jason Andrew Godfrey <godfreja@acm.cs.uwec.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog config question

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > I've just setup a new FreeBSD 3.1 Release box, and I keep on getting
> > messages like:
> >
> > xxx /kernal: arp: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx moved from blah_mac_address to
> > another_mac_address on vx0.
> >
> > I'd like for these messages to disappear.
>
> Then catch the person who's using the IP address.
>  <snip>

Hmmm. The message comes with such regularity and for so may IP's (even the
campus gateway) that I attributed it to the network doing funky things.
Maybe it is someone trying to spoof. I'll keep on eye on it for a little
longer.

> > Could anyone help me come with the magical formula to get this
> > message to disapper?
>
> Remove its cause, not the effect.  It's a serious message.  In any
> case, the message comes from here, in /sys/netinet/if_arp.c:

Thanks for the idea on modifying the source. For some reason it didn't
occur to me.

"Use the source Luke...."

Once again, thanks.

-- Jason

P.S. - (After using FreeBSD for about 2 years I just bought your book
today. Good job. It's nice going to a bookstore and seeing FreeBSD stuff
there.)