Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:33:31 +0930 (CST)
From:      Benjamin Close <linux@senet.com.au>
To:        <riccardo@athena.polito.it>
Cc:        FreeBSD CURRENT <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.3 on Inspiron 8000 (Includes ATA comments)

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Riccardo Scandariato wrote:

> Did someone succesfully install FreeBSD 4.3 on Dell Inspiron 8000?
<SNIP>

I run FreeBSD current on an Inspiron 8000 and agree that not everything
works (yet).

To get your soundcard working put:

snd_maestro3_load="YES"

in /boot/loader.conf and reboot (or do kldload snd_maestro3 each boot)
It's a module due to GPL issues.

For X you need to use the native resolution of the LCD display:
So make sure the Monitor section in /etc/X11/XF86Config (assuming Xfree4)
looks like:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
        VertRefresh   40-110
        HorizSync     28-90
        ModeLine "1400x1050" 107.85 1400 1450 1500 1999 1050 1058 1070 1150
        Gamma     1.0 1.0 0.94
EndSection

The gamma line is optional but I've found the display needs tweeking for
correct colour.

I've never used the cardbus support as I got the internal network
card/modem. The eepro works great, the winmodem *almost* works. Still
hangs the kernel on ATI3 requests.

As for acpi power support - if you use it don't shut the lid. It will
never return. apm works fine by itself.

I'm still working out the problem with the cd drive.
It seems that a couple of ATA requests are causing the drive to overflow
at detection time and hence the drive is not detected correctly.
I would have blamed the drive but interestingly enough it used to work in
Freebsd 4.0

For the IDE folk out there I've traced it down to: dev/ata/ata-all.c
684                 lsb = ATA_INB(scp->r_io, ATA_CYL_LSB);
685                 msb = ATA_INB(scp->r_io, ATA_CYL_MSB);
686                 if (bootverbose)
687                     ata_printf(scp, ATA_MASTER,
688                                "ATAPI probe %02x %02x\n", lsb, msb);
689                 if (lsb == ATAPI_MAGIC_LSB && msb == ATAPI_MAGIC_MSB)
690                     scp->devices |= ATA_ATAPI_MASTER;
691             }

lsb & msb both return 0xd0 and hence the magic never matches.
Modifying the delay just before (either up or down by 5) makes no
difference. Of course commenting out line 689 fixes the problem but it's
not elegant.

All in all it's supported reasonably well as far as laptops go.

To any kernel developers, I'd be happy to send a full boot -v and try
patches to resolve any issues mentioned above.

Cheers,
--
* Benjamin Close
* Benjsc@senet.com.au