Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:12:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Heffner <spock@techfour.net>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: error with install, "Unable to make device nodes..."

On 20-Dec-99 Bill Fumerola said:
  | On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Mike Heffner wrote:
  |

  |>   Unable to make device node of /dev/ad0s1b in /dev!
  |>   The creation of filesystems will be aborted.
  |>
  |> If I switch to the second virtual terminal it says:
  |>
  |>   DEBUG: Scanning disk ad0 for root filesystem
  |>   DEBUG: Scanning disk ad0 for swap partitions
  |>   DEBUG: MakeDev: Unable to lookup user "root".
  |>    [ last line repeated several times ]
  |
  | <aol>
  | Me too.
  | </aol>
  |
  | This is not a Danish thing however, this fails with scsi drives as well.

Well, after some more tests...running sysinstall many times over ;(...I've found
that it breaks between the 12/16 and 12/17 snapshots. Not sure where to start
looking for problems though. I checked MAKEDEV (since the error seemed to be
coming from that) but didn't see anything in that time period. What else is
there to check?

Later,
Mike Heffner <spock@techfour.net>
Fredericksburg, VA