Date:      Mon, 05 Apr 1999 18:05:31 -0400
From:      Phil Wang <Phil.Wang@wizeup.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD server too slow for internals

Hi all,

I got a strange problem with my FreeBSD 2.2.5 machine, which is used as
mail/pop3, ftp and httpd servers. Two network interface cards are
installed on it, one is used to connect Internet, another is to connect
an internal network. All machines (PC and MACs) internal network use
NATD to do external access.

This morning, we found at first that a pop3 client took more than 5
minutes to download emails from this pop3 server (sometimes failed), and
later found that ftp and httpd services did too. It was very quick last
Thursday, this machine was not turned down during the following
holidays.

But it looks no slow to access those servers from external Internet or
access Internet from internal machines. So, what is the problem?

I checked all the logs outputed from system processes, only one message
repeated several times in /var/log/message may be useful.

<First appeared>
Apr  2 11:08:19 wizeup natd: failed to write packet back (Permission
denied)
Apr  2 11:08:49 wizeup natd: failed to write packet back (Permission
denied)
Apr  2 11:10:54 wizeup last message repeated 4 times
Apr  2 11:13:10 wizeup last message repeated 4 times
Apr  2 11:13:21 wizeup popper[11123]: (v2.4b2) Unable to get canonical
name of c
lient, err = 0
<last appeared>
Apr  2 12:04:14 wizeup natd: failed to write packet back (Permission
denied)
Apr  2 12:05:01 wizeup last message repeated 2 times
Apr  2 12:06:26 wizeup last message repeated 3 times
Apr  2 12:10:52 wizeup last message repeated 9 times
Apr  2 12:13:44 wizeup popper[12629]: (v2.4b2) Unable to get canonical
name of c
lient, err = 0

Does any body help it?

Thanks,