Date:      Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:47:35 -0500
From:      Nathan Vidican <nvidican@wmptl.com>
To:        Olaf Greve <o.greve@axis.nl>
Cc:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware RAID support? Which controller best to use?

Olaf Greve wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In addition to the questions posed in the message I sent earlier today,
> I would like to know which SATA hardware controllers incl. RAID 10
> support are working well with FreeBSD 5.4 or 6 amd64...
>
> Note: the motherboard of the machine that will be used will most likely
> not have 64-bit PCI slots, but rather only normal 32-bit PCI and
> PCI-express slots.
>
> Can anyone recommend me some good solutions?
>
> Also: the motherboard featured a built in Silicon RAID controller. I've
> previously tried to get FreeBSD to recognise such a controller, but it
> didn't recognise the RAID array properly and simply identified the
> drives individually instead of as 1 RAID-1 array.
>
> On:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ata&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+6.0-RELEASE
>
> it looks like this might work better under v6 but I'm not certain...
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? I know what to do SCSI wise (which is
> what I have myself), but these guys really want to use SATA....
>
> Cheers!
> Olafo

HANDS-DOWN, the 3-Ware Escalade 9000 Series... rock solid performance,
stability, they support the FreeBSD community 'officially', AND they won't cost
you an arm and a leg either.

We're running Dual AMD Opteron 246's plugged into a MSI K8D-Master-FA4R, has
room for 24GB ECC registered memory, on-board S-ATA raid (which we don't use),
dual on-board Gig ethernet, on-board video/usb1.1. We're using 3Ware Escalade
9000-series 8-port controllers with Western Digital RAID Edition 7200RPM 250GB
S-ATA drives... knock-on-woood, these systems have been GREAT for us, running
LDAP directories - including central authentication for all unix boxen via
pam_ldap/nss_ldap and windows domain control via samba using the same user
database. Also running apache with mod_perl and Apache::DBI attached to various
databases run from mysql. Performance has been great, and stability even better,
all hardware was supported and no weird kwirks required to get system up and
running.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican@wmptl.com