Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:30:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      "User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys" <rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu (User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems on tex and latex ports builds? (A FIX)

> I was bringing up the TeX-3.14159 and LaTeX2e packages and ports on the
> new 2.2.5-RELEASE, and the ports builds complained of unfindable directories
> down in the work space trees.  Anyone else had any install problems from
> ports builds on TeX/LaTeX (NOT teTeX)?  It makes me think something in
> one of the scripts is out of sync, but I am not sure.  I can use the
> packages, but I am always in preference of a real source build rather
> than a pre-installed package, where possible.  The alternative is a
> build from the cannonical sources at TUG.
>
> The error on return from gmake[2] and gmake[1] was:
>
> can't cd to /usr/ports/print/tex/work/cm/tfm
> error code 2
> stop
> error code 1
> stop
>
> It seemed to do most of the install, but I can't offhand tell what got
> left out from the non-existent directories.

After playing around with it for a while and seeing what was going on,
a suitable workaround was found:

1.  create the missing work directories (cm in tex and latex in latex) and
    mv the appropriate subdirectories down into the called for directories.

2.  repeat the make install until the appropriate directories are moved
    into the right locations.   It took about 6 passes to get everything
    where it was expected to be.  Since it is only used in the work build
    tree, it really does not matter much, how the solution is arrived at.

Crude, sure, but it works.

The ports build scripts need to be fixed by whomever is in charge of them
to reflect the correct directory searching in the work directories.

Bob Keys
rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu