Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:25:31 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GSM vs. CDMA (was: VCD (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/ata atapi-cd.c))

At 10:42 AM +1030 2001/1/23, Greg Lehey wrote:

>  Nor would it make much difference, since the analogue networks in
>  Europe are much less well developed than in the USA.

	Keep in mind that we're talking about one theoretical phone that
can supposedly get coverage anywhere in the world.  The analog
portion would be intended for use primarily in the US, in those
places where you can't get GSM, TDMA, or CDMA coverage.

>  Are you sure that you can get combined GSM/CDMA phones?  They'd be
>  particularly useful in Australia, where we have only partially
>  overlapping GSM service (in populated areas) and CDMA (in the
>  Outback).  There are no phones which will do both, and a salesdroid
>  recently told me, full of conviction, that there would never be such a
>  beast.

	To the best of my knowledge, there are not currently any combined
GSM/TDMA or GSM/CDMA phones.  I do recall reading something about a
year ago about some new TI DSP chips that were coming out that should
make it possible to have a single phone handle every type of network
that exists in the world (including even satellite, if you had the
right transceiver electronics), but that it probably wouldn't start
showing up in actual phones for about another year.  I don't recall
having read anything about it since.

>  No.  I've never lost one.

	I've lost two or three.

>>  I'd much prefer to have the multiple NAM capability in the phone
>>  itself, and not have SIMs at all.
>
>  It doesn't address the issue I've mentioned.

	I think multiple NAM capability would address most of what people
use SIMs for, and if the phone manufacturers made it easy to transfer
NAM information from one phone to another (e.g., just beam it across,
as you can share phone number information via infrared with many
Nokia phones, or transfer information from one Palm Pilot to another
via infrared), then I think that would largely solve the other
problems, too.

>  How do you move your personal phone directory?

	Personal phone directories should be stored in the phone, and not
on the SIM.  SIMs don't have enough space for the phone directories
(only 100 entries), and they don't allow long enough text labels per
entry.  Again, if you need to transfer them, do it by infrared.

>  Ah.  Assuming the people know how to do it.

	The people at the store would obviously know how to do it.  Phone
manufacturers could make it easy to transfer information like this,
and doing so would help address some of the crime associated with
cell phones -- you'd no longer have a SIM (or a NAM) frequently being
transferred from one phone to another, or the same phone frequently
swapping SIMs (or NAMs), and therefore you could use phone
fingerprinting techniques to home in on potentially suspicious
activity that could warrant further investigation.