Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 10:15:42 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.3 + SSLeay + FP

From: Joseph M. Scott <jmscott@ainet.com>
> I'd like to put it my two bits to support the possibility of this
happening.  I've used the apache-fp
> port a little bit and it seemed to work well while I was looking at it.
I'd love to see SSL become
> an option on this.

 According to what I had read on the www.apache-ssl.org archive, apparently
the apache server likes to initialize compiled in modules twice, and the
FrontPage Module was written to ignore the first initialization.  But the
SSL patch doesn't like being initialized twice, so apparently the creators
of the patch decided to stop the apache server from initializing modules
twice.  This breaks the FrontPage module, as it expects to use the second
initialization to enable the module.

When compiling the FrontPage module as a DSO, the check for the first
initialization had to be disabled, as the Apache 1.3 server only initializes
DSO modules one time.

With apache v1.3, and the FrontPage module compiled as a DSO, I see no
problems of SSL + FP finally working together.

Scot