Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 20:53:59 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
Cc:        "Nicole H." <nicole@mediacity.com>, Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>, "[Mario1-]" <mario1@primenet.com>, JbHunt <johnnyu@accessus.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, Tomasz Dudziak <loco@onyks.wszib.poznan.pl>
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

Vincent Poy wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.95.970728173911.3844T-100000@mail.MCESTATE.COM>:
> 	It seems the interface always goes into promiscuous mode though.

Err? Not on my systems it doesn't.

> 	Hmmm, if BPF isn't there, how will utils like trafshow work to
> track people down?

Track what people down?

It's really a choice. You can run a secure shell server or you can run
a shell server which, if hacked, becomes a real threat. I've taken
certain liberties locally (bpf is still compiled in), but since the
machine is right behind me (literally), and carefully watched, I'm not
particularly worried right now.

Gary