Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 00:33:08 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   BIND (8.1.2) reverse mapping for RFC 1918 addresses? - Please Help

I'm at my wit's end.

I'm using the stock bind 8.1.2 that came with FreeBSD 3.3 and I'm having
one helluva time getting various reverse mapping stuff working right.

I hope somebody will take pity on me and help me with the parts that
aren't working.

First let me say that all of my forward lookups seem to be working just
fine.  So that part is alright at least.

Also, the reverse lookup for 127.0.0.1 seems to be working OK too.

So here are the problems:

Problem #1)

Regardless of the fact that I seem to have setup my reverse lookup zone
properly for the 127.0.0.* zone, every time named starts up it puts an error
message in the syslog that says:

Oct 31 00:01:48 segfault named[1963]: localhost.rev: No such file or directory

What the heck is this "localhost.rev" stuff all about???

I've tried desperately to find out what is causing this message, but to
no avail.  I even ran "strings" on /usr/sbin/named and grepped the output
of that for the string "rev" just to see if the named executable was even
creating this message, but no dice.  No such string in the executable!
So where does this message come from and how can I get it to go away?

The message doesn't seem to hurt anything, but it annoys me because I have
a bad feeling that it is really trying to tell me that I screwed something
up which is very fundamental.

Problem #2)

Try as I might, I have not been able to setup reverse DNS names for various
RFC 1918 reserved IP addresses that I am using behind my firewall.  For
example, I'd like to setup a PTR record for the address 10.0.0.7 or maybe
192.168.0.7.  WHY CAN'T I DO THIS?  I have patterned everything I have done
after the instructions (from the Grasshopper book) that I used to setup the
reverse mapping for 127.0.0.1 and *that* seems to work OK.  So why, oh why
can't I get the same thing to work in the case of 10.0.0.7?

This is *really* aggravating.

I'm just building bind 8.2.2 now, and I plan to install it and try it in the
vague hope that it may make things better, but I have a bad feeling that
doing that won't change a thing.