Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 15:43:28 -0600
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        stable list <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Looping Prob w/Dual Xeon system

I just installed a second Xeon processor in my system running FreeBSD
3.1-stable.  When I boot an MP kernel it goes into some kind of apparent
loop.  Xperfmon++-3.1 reports > 200,000 chars/sec on tty out and 0% idle
time.  Top also reports 0.0% idle but no processes are running.

When I first boot the system things seem okay.  Running any kind of load
(like building a kernel) though, will cause this looping behavior.  A UP
kernel does not have this problem.

The motherboard is an ASUS GX-DLS.

Any ideas on what might be wrong or what I can do to further track this
down would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox             The man who follows the crowd will usually get no
bob@luke.pmr.com        further than the crowd.  The man who walks alone is