Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 1996 05:47:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de
To:        aat81@dial.pipex.com (Simon Reading)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hardware Users)
Subject:   Re: DAT reliability

Simon Reading writes:
> Thanks to those of you who are participating in this thread.
>
> In my original post:
>> I had an HP C1533A DDS-2 drive which worked fine, but which I exchanged
> for a sony SDT-7000 DDS-2 because of the reliability warnings given in the
> FreeBSD Handbook. Unfortunately my sony drive is broken - I/O errors on
> read, can't format tapes using the Adaptec EZ-SCSI utility etc.
>
> In this email, I explain what my setup was for both the HP and Sony DDS
> drives.  I RETURNED THE SONY TODAY because it was the last day I could do
> so and get my money back.  I have not purchased a replacement yet as my
> choice is dependent on the outcome of this thread :-)
>
> I think there are a number of issues:
>> How reliable is DDS/DDS-2 (DAT) technology?
>> Is any one brand of DDS drive better or worse than another?
> (or 'Do the HP drives warrant their Freebsd warnings?')
>> Can anything be done to extend DDS drive life?
>> Is there a common failure mode for DDS?
>
>> From mail that I have received I am beginning to believe that the DDS
> mechanism, or more precisely the head, wears out and break down.

Sure.  That's valid for all tape drives.  The real question is, how
quickly?  The jury's still out on that one.

> I don't know if HP drives are better or worse than any others.  That said,
> I have been put off the Sony SDT-7000 as 1) my problems with the unit
> supplied to me, 2) on the basis of replies, few seem to be in circulation
> (are sony users at bleeding edge?) and 3) I can't see how the high
> rotational speed of the SDT 7000 can do anything but degrade reliability
> (cf HP).

It can also improve performance.

> Dave (dtsao@puc.edu) wrote:
>> If you can purchase the Sony 7000 for $40 more than the Sony 5000 DAT, and
>> the *only* difference is that the 7000's RPM is 8503 while the 5000's is
>> 4000, would you buy the 7000?  Is it as reliable and safe when running at
>> that speed?  My HDD doesn't even come close!
>
> On the general subject of DAT reliability, phr@netcom.com (Paul Rubin) writes:
>> I have a C1533a now a little over 1 year old.  I've had no problems
>> with it but my usage has been pretty light.  Any DAT drive will
>> wear out after a year or so of heavy usage.  DAT is built around
>> consumer audio media designed for low cost, and the mechanisms
>> are too fiddly to be really durable.  Same goes for 8mm only more so.
>> If you want reliable backup and can pay for it, get DLT.  Otherwise
>> DAT is the best bet.

I don't know if I agree with that.  Sure, it's built on the original
DAT technology, but that doesn't make it a consumer grade article.
Note that the estimated MTBF of the C1533A is 4 times that of the
35480A.  They're obviously doing something there.

> Unfortunately I can't afford DLT, so DAT it is . .
>
> Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de> enquired of my setup:
>>> He really wasn't that clear about what didn't work for him,
>>> and it may be something silly like using audio grade tapes,
>>> which can't be written to (unless some DIP switch is set to
>>> a non-default position, which might have been the case for
>>> his HP drive).
>>
>> Yes, that's correct.  It was one of the problems I was thinking of,
>> too.  Let's wait for his reply.
>
> Here are my setup details:
>
> Hardware setup 1:
> Adaptec 2940 (non ultra)
> HP C1533A DDS-2 (internal, connected via adaptec internal cable).
> The DAT drive is the only device on the SCSI chain.
>
> Tapes which I used successfully on the C1533A:
>> HP DDS 60 metre.
>> Sony 90 metre computer grade DDS-2.

To the best of my knowledge, there ain't no such beast.  The 90 metre
tapes are all DDS-1.  You need the much more expensive 120 metre tapes
to get DDS-2.  But at least you weren't using audio grade tapes.

> Dip switch settings:
>> Compression enabled at power on, with host control.
>> Media recognition active.
>> Caution on hard error.
>> Parity on.
>> Data phase disc.
>> Truncate request sense off.
>> Variable block size mode.
>> SCSI id 3
>
> Hardware setup 2:
>
> Unsuccesful Setup with sony SDT-7000 (connection as above).
>> SCSI id same as for HP DAT
>> DC disable (tried both ON and OFF) - what is this?

Data compression.  Unless you're exchanging data with somebody who
doesn't have data compression, leave it on.

>> SCSI parity on. (both settings tried)
>> Termination on. (both settings tried)
>
> The Sony package which I received had evidence that it had been opened (a
> faulty return?).

>From what you say below, it's beginning to sound like it.

> Problems with the sony were:
> - Excessive lacing and unlacing of the tape on boot up (it really seemed to
> be making a meal of it).

Ah, yes, this sounds familiar.  That's typically the way my 35480As
died.  Was this a brand new tape?  I've had cases where a tape written
on a bad drive can confuse a good drive.

> - Inability to format Sony DDS-2 tape using the Adaptec EZ-SCSI utility:
>   (read errors, tape removed from drive during format etc).

I don't understand this.  DDS tapes don't need formatting.  What did
the documentation say on the subject?  EZ-SCSI is a DOS utility, and
you don't need it.  Or are you running this under DOS?  EZ-SCSI
supports all tape drives, some of which need formatting, and I
wouldn't put it past the program to run into trouble if you try to
format a drive that doesn't support formatting.

> - device I/O errors when trying to read a tar archive created by the HP and
> another DDS drive.

It's always better to give the error messages rather than just a
statement like this.  What were the errors?  For example, my newly
repaired Exabyte still shows the same problems :-(

Dec 23 12:02:03 freebie /kernel: st1(aha0:5:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:10000 csi:0,0,0,13 asc:3,2 Excessive write errors
Dec 23 12:02:04 freebie last message repeated 2 times
Dec 23 12:02:05 freebie /kernel: st1(aha0:5:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:10000 csi:0,0,0,13 asc:3,2 Excessive write errors
Dec 23 12:02:05 freebie /kernel: st1(aha0:5:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:10000 csi:0,0,0,13 asc:3,2 Excessive write errors
Dec 23 12:02:05 freebie /kernel: st1(aha0:5:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:10000 csi:0,0,0,13 asc:3,2 Excessive write errors
Dec 23 12:02:06 freebie /kernel: st1(aha0:5:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:10000 csi:0,0,0,13 asc:3,2 Excessive write errors

Looking at the first item on your list, however, I think I'd agree
that you do (did) have a defective drive.  You will probably not have
any problems with a replacement.

Greg