Date:      15 Nov 1999 12:21:51 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        cmonster <chuck@2inches.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad 560

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:22:40 -0800, cmonster <chuck@2inches.com> said:

cmonster> Hi all.  I recovered and old ThinkPad 560 10U from my office
cmonster> trash pool. I'd really like to put FreeBSD on it.

=46rom Trash? Bummer. I have a 560X that has been running 2.2.X and now
3.3-STABLE happily. Especially now that XFree86 supports the NeoMagic
video chipset.

cmonster> My questions are these? Should I go with the PAO or the 3.3
cmonster> release, or current, or stable?

3.3 works for me. I expect -STABLE and -RELEASE to be similar.

cmonster> The 3.3 release recognizes my 3com 3C589D-TP etherlink III,
cmonster> and i can install via ftp. When I tried to PAO-ize the
cmonster> kernel, next time I booted it said invalid entry in rc.conf
cmonster> file and dropped to single user mode, losing half my files
cmonster> system (everything but /) .

So don't PAO-ize? :-)

cmonster> Before the PAO disaster, I tried unsuccesfully to get
cmonster> x-windows to work alos. Any suggestions there?  According to
cmonster> IBM specs, it has a trident CYBER9382 chipset, and a DSTN
cmonster> passive matrix 800x600 display, with 1M video ram.

Hmm, mine has the NeoMagic. Before drivers were available for that, I
used a "generic" SVGA driver and it did 800x600 just fine. Might want
to try the simplest thing first.

cmonster> And finally, will there be, or is there now, support for the
cmonster> Linksys Etherfast 10/100 + 56k combo card?

Can't help here. I tried soemthing like this when I first got mine and
I believe the card shared the same interrupt for both, which FreeBSD
couldn't handle (at the time, don't know about now. So I got separate
Ether and modem cards, and a SCSI card, since I figured I wouldn't be
using Ether and Modem at the same time. =