Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 18:48:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems booting the second HD

Hi!

It's hard to believe how long this problem's been around, but I've
fallen (into it) and I can't get up. I installed 3.1 over FTP (thanks
to Brian and all other PPP documentors). My set up is PPro180, IDE1
has 1.5G with Win95 on master and CD-Rom on the slave. IDE2 has a 6.1G
onto which I've installed FreeBSD 3.1. I dedicated the whole disk
during setup, and it appears that booteasy was only installed on the
first disk. When I boot booteasy gives me a choice of F1 or F5, I
choose F5 and get a message that says Press Enter to boot immediately
or any other key to enter command mode. If I press enter it goes
through the probe just fine and then panics with error 6 Cannot mount
root. Right before that, for some strange reason it tries to change
root device to wd1s1a (and wd1a) which is probably my Win95 disk.
Anyhow, I cannot seem to figure out how to tell FreeBSD to change root
device to wd2s1a. Any suggestions?

Thanks Rudy.

P.S. I'm not on the questions mailing list so could you please reply
directly.