Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 13:24:37 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        David Anderson <partek@indecent.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and the Promise 2300+ EIDE controller

> Then the computer was completely frozen. I was told on #FreeBSD that the
> problem sounded like it originated with my hard drive controller. I've
> tried every setting, and every configuration on the controller and it
> still did the same exact thing when trying to boot from the HD.. Is this
> controller just incompatable with FreeBSD, or am I doing something
> horribly wrong? I tried setting it up with the boot manager AND the
> standard MBR also..

Quick thing to try (assuming that you haven't blown away that FreeBSD
partition yet).  Boot from the boot floppy again, but instead of
hitting return at the `boot:' prompt try this:

	boot: hd(0,a)/kernel
	(or)
	boot: wd(0,a)/kernel

And let us know if it comes up.  If so, it's the boot blocks getting
spooged somehow.  If not, it may be because your root partition is
somehow past cylinder 1024?  You don't say what else is on the disk,
if anything.

					Jordan