Date:      Thu, 4 May 1995 04:21:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        pete@pelican.com (Pete Carah)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: VLB VGA query

> In trying an install of the recent SNAP, I've run into a strange
> problem.
>
> System is an OPTI-based P90 with 3 VLB slots, 2 plain ISA (16bit)
> slots, and 4 PCI slots.  I don't know the manufacturer.  Has an award
> bios.
>
> VLB IDE controller, Genoa (Cirrus accelerated) VLB VGA, 2 Conner 1280mb
> IDE disks (which work fine and even configure and work in freebsd!!)
>
> The problem is that there is data/attribute confusion in the vga, but
> not under DOS at all.  only_ under freebsd (but I haven't tried Windoze...)
> I could get through the install by knowing generally what was going on
> and hitting ^L a lot during the fdisk/disklabel steps.  I presume that
> I need to fix some delay somewhere...  Does anyone have a pointer to
> what?
>
> I've tried all the reasonable combinations of vlb and isa bus speed and
> wait state jumpers (this one isn't soft-config'd for these speeds) with
> no difference at all.  I've left it at 8.33 mhz isa and '<=33' vlb with
> no vlb wait states (as the board came).
>
> We don't need the vlb performance (this will be a server anyhow and
> not run the X server) so will be substituting a cheap plain ISA vga card
> when we get it, just to save the vlb one for someone that needs it.  I
> assume this will help, but don't know.
>
> However, has anyone seen this or something like it?
> Are there known limitations of this chip set?  I could get chip numbers
> and date codes if needed...

Well, try this, it fixed it for one setup I had here that had this
problem in sys/i386/isa/syscons.c at about line 67 change:
/* this may break on older VGA's but is usefull on real 32 bit systems */
#define bcopyw  bcopy

#define bcopyw	bcopyw

Seems some VLB boards don't like you to use 32 bit memory references
to the video memory :-(.

Let me know if that fixes your problem.