Date:      Sun, 06 Jun 1999 15:35:11 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA "sio" problem with current

In message <199905281615.JAA32866@whistle.com> Doug Ambrisko writes:
: I wondering if I'm missing something here.  I had PCMCIA stuff working
: for a NE2000 ethernet card but not for serial ports.

That is correct, at least for -current.

:  Does anyone have
: serial ports working (ie. modems or serial cards)?  I had this laptop
: working with 3.1 and just upgraded it to current and the serial port
: stopped working.

That is expected.  -current doesn't support sio yet.  Work is in
progress by me to rework the pccard code to clean it up and to make
new style drivers work with it.  Until that work is done, you are
likely SOL when it comes to using new drivers.  This means that sio,
ata and fdc won't work.

: So to me this looks like work to be done, ie. convert the pccard stuff to
: call new-bus drivers or some capatibility layer needs to be done or I'm
: smoking dope.

Work needs to be done.  That doesn't necessarily mean you aren't
smoking dope, btw :-)

If you are interested in helping out on the pccard rewrite, drop me a
line in private mail.  The latest snapshot can be found at:
	http://www.freebsd.org/~imp/pccard.patch.990605.gz
but it hasn't been well tested and likely is non-functional for a
significant number of systems.  If you have a ISA based system, then
the chances of it working are high.  However, I've not done the SIO
conversion yet, so that would be your first step...

Warner