Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 2004 01:04:46 +0000
From:      "Killermink !" <killermink@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dhclient and host resolution

Hello,

I am having some trouble with my dhclient setup, but think I am almost
there, just need a little prod for the last bit!

To me it seems a pretty ambitious setup, but I think to a seasoned pro it
should be pretty easy...

I have a Apple PowerBook running Panther and have set it to share my modem
internet connection over the Ethernet port.  FreeBSD is connected to this
and should get all config via DHCP.  When dhclient runs, it successfully
gets an IP Address from the Powerbook, and I can ping between machines...  A
quick look at the leases file also shows that it has the Powerbook as the
Gateway and as the DNS server.   However, I can only get to the Internet
from the BSD box using IP addresses, trying a url such as www.google.com
always fails as it cant resolve the host, plus the response is immediate as
if it hasn't tried or waited for a response.

It was quite an achievement for me just to get this far, as I can't get the
ltmodem working (maybe that will be another mail) and have only used FreeBSD
for like a week!  However, it means I cannot use the ports or packages
collection as all the fetch commands use the url and not the IP (anyone know
where I can just download a full package to install XFCE manually?)

I am not sure what further information to put here, except that I can boot
into XP on the same computer and am able to resolve URL's without changing
any settings on the PowerBook, and the status in XP shows the same settings
as the leases file in FreeBSd, so I'm pretty sure this isn't a problem with
the PowerBook...

I will endeavour to supply whatever info necc, as there really is no point
in having FreeBSD if it can't get on the internet, but I'm hoping its gonna
be a pretty simple thing...  please can you put full paths for any files I
might need to change, as I am don't know the file systems of by heart yet.

Thanks!

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger