Date:      Sat, 24 Oct 1998 09:35:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Missing sendmail.cf...

On 24-Oct-98 BEAUPRE Antoine wrote:

> I recently crashed my root partition, and with it alll of my configuration
> files... I achieve a almost complete recovery, doing a "make world" and
> still having the /usr/src partition helping a lot.
>
> But then I saw that I had no /etc/sendmail.cf file! How come? Isn't 'make
> world' supposed to recreate the /etc files?

No.  This would be a Bad Thing for make world to do automatically.  :-)

Nik Clayton has provided the definitive tutorial on upgrading via sources at:

http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html

See section 6 on updating /etc.

--
Conrad Sabatier

Some performers on television appear to be horrible people, but when
you finally get to know them in person, they turn out to be even
worse.
                -- Avery