Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 20:13:01 +0100
From:      Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta <megarcia@intercom.es>
To:        Darryl Hoar <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security steps

	Darryl,

=== Darryl Hoar escribia
(Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 09:10:25AM -0600):

> Greetings,
> I am running :
>
> FreeBSD proxy 4.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE #0:
> Mon Mar 20 22:50:22 GMT 2000
> root@monster.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
> i386
>
> on my machine.  I have this machine setup to run userland ppp with the auto
> and nat flags so
> that it provides internet access for my internal lan clients (win98, win95,
> NT, HPUX).
>
> Since this is a dialup link (but it stays up for long periods at a time) do
> I have a high security
> risk ?  With a dialup link, what security steps should be taken on a freshly
> installed box ?

	I guess it depends on whom you ask about it. Being the
paranoid type I am, if you ask me I would say you do have a high
security risk :)  Not that I am an expert, but I would disable
the ability to initiate connections from outside. If you still
need to access that machine from somewhere else besides your local
network then set up ssh. That's it, basically. For the full story
you can read

http://www.freebsd.org/security/

and

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~jkb/howto.html