Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 09:58:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        imp@village.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

In article <199907102150.PAA33167@harmony.village.org>,
Warner Losh  <imp@village.org> wrote:

> Some ftpd and sendmail servers make the queries.  When I have my fake
> identd in place, they go much faster... :-)

Are you sure?  If you simply don't run an identd, the queries will get
an instant connection refused error.  That's even faster than sending
back a bogus response.

The only way a long timeout can occur is if you have a filter rule
installed that drops the incoming packets without responding to them.
You can block the incoming packets but still avoid the timeout with a
filter rule that sends back a reset:

    add reset tcp from any to any auth setup in via etha16

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron