Date:      Fri, 19 May 95 11:30:43 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        justin.kuntz@ftscorp.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and TBBS

>   Everything seems to be working great, but we have one problem-- FreeBSD
> always seems to leave the Carrier Detect signal on, and thus TBBS always
> thinks someone is on the line, so we cannot "grab" it to allow our callers
> to get access.
>
>   I am sure there is a way to have FreeBSD only send "login" requests when it
> detects a Carrier Detect (or a couple of CRLFs or something).  Can you please
> tell me how to do this?

1)	Use a calling unit instead of a tty (see the sio man page and see
	/dev/MAKEDEV).

2)	Make sure you run getty instead of uugetty or mgetty.

3)	Make sure the modem is set correctly.  It should be set to reset
	as if powered off then on on DTR drop. and it should be set to
	assert DCD only if  remote DCD is present.

4)	Make sure your cable is a straight cable.

>    Also, we have a Boca 4 port COM I/O adapter.  Can this work on FreeBSD to
> allow us to have 4 hardwired serial connections to our BBS?

As long as it is one of their dumb boards, yes.  See the sio man page and
see the LINT kernel configuration, note that you will need to copy the
kernel and add only those lines that apply in; the LINT kernel itself
probably won't run.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---