Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 1997 21:47:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and digital telephone circuit

Alec Kloss writes:
 > Hello all.  I'm looking at upgrading my employers 28.8 dedicated
 > modem connection to some sort of fractional T1.  Most places I've been
 > looking say you need to buy a Cisco router (approx $2000) and a
 > "CSU/DSU" (approx. $1000).  Is it possible to replace one or both of
 > these devices with a FreeBSD box with appropriate internal hardware?
 > Any information would be most appreciated.

Usually not.  Many of the commercial providers, like SprintLink and
networkMCI use routing protocols that are specific to Cisco and they
will not support you unless you buy a Cisco.  Sad, but true.  In our
network of standards, it appears that some are more standard that
others.  ;^)

The only way to know for sure is to talk with the technical people at
the company you're signing up with.  It may be worthwhile to look at
several and find one who will support, or at least accept, a FreeBSD
endpoint.  This would save you the cost of buying both the router and a
Mail/Ftp/News server.