Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:24:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        <nimrodm@email.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kill -9 -1

Nimrod Mesika wrote to questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> > > $kill -9 -1
> > >
> > > And my system died.
> > >
> > > Can anyone confirm/explain this phenomena? (this is on a fairly
> > > recent -stable).
> >
> > >From the manpage for kill :
> >
> >      The following pids have special meanings:
> >      -1      If superuser, broadcast the signal to all processes; otherwise
> >              broadcast to all processes belonging to the user.
>
> Thanks. I did read the manpage before writing this message and the
> above description does not explain the phenomena I have described.

Well, it kind of does.

Running as a normal user, kill -9 -1 should NOT bring the system down,
as, if you are a normal user, you do not have the privilege to kill
processes run by anyone else (i.e., root).

So, one of two things happened:

o You did NOT run kill(1) as a normal user. (Were you perhaps su'd,
but didn't know it? For example, if you didn't su -l, your normal user
name would still show up, but you would have root permission).

Alternatively, maybe your /bin/kill is suid? Try ll /bin/kill and look
for any "s" bits in the permissions. Kill should NOT be suid anything.

OR

o Something is seriously mangled with your system, OR with FreeBSD,
but I have just tried kill -9 -1 on a -STABLE box and 4.4-RELEASE box,
and only witnessed the killing of all of my processes as a user (but
my current shell stayed active).

Running kill -9 -1 as root, on the other hand, I would expect the
system to shut down to single user mode. (where there is only one
virtual terminal, a default (though possibly password-protected,
depending on your security settings) root shell, etc). Was this what
you experienced? It kind of sounds like it, but your description
wasn't too clear.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon