Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:46:45 -0400
From:      <lists@brenius.com>
To:        "William Palfreman" <william@palfreman.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Very High HTTPD Usage (Pls help, was urgent)

Hello Bill, you wrote:
> I'm getting the same thing with my Slash installation every day about 2
> o'clock in the morning.  Except for me it is a perl process that is
> wreaking havoc, swallowing all the swap then getting killed off by the
> OS.

We are still trying to track down the problem, but so far to temporarily
the kill the sucker, we did the following:

-Sendmail died, because the load went over 12.##.

-/usr/local/apache/bin/
-./apachectl retart

That taimed it down for the time being.

Then another FreeBSD server, we had an httpd process hoovering around
97% while looking at a "top".

Did the same as above and that slowed things down to near normal.

> As for you, are you doing anything funny with your webserver?

Not out of the ordinary. Apache 1.3.26, PHP 4.2.1, mySQL 3.23.51...(or close)

Well things have settled down, but I would really like to track down the problem.

Thank you.